At Zen, we talk a lot about holistic skincare, but what does that really mean?
You may or may not know that Zen’s owner and skincare extraordinaire, Shawna L’Heureux, is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist in addition to being trained in esthetics, oncology esthetics, and the pastiche method of advanced skin analysis. What that means is that Shawna essentially treats your skin from the inside out.
She looks well beyond what is taking place on the surface and dives deeper into what’s happening inside of your body. And that involves looking at how your nutrition and other habits—such as time spent in the sun—could be affecting your skin. For example, did you know that:
- Consuming vitamin E protects your skin from damage caused by free radicals and inflammation?
- Vitamin E is believed to be more effective when combined with vitamin C, and your skin needs vitamin C to create collagen?
- Omega-3 deficiency can cause dry skin?
- Essential fatty acid deficiency can contribute to acne?
- Eating healthy fats from foods like avocado, walnuts, and fish provide a wide range of benefits to your overall skin condition and function?
- Beta-carotene—found in orange fruits and vegetables—acts as a natural sunblock?
- Immune system function is directly related to many different skin conditions, including eczema?
These points are just a few examples of how your diet can be either harming or helping your skin condition. Shawna will take you through all of that, and because of her approach, your session will be individualized. There is no one-size-fits-all treatment here.
Using her extensive knowledge and specialized diagnostic equipment, Shawna spends time investigating and determining the underlying causes of your skin problems before deciding on an appropriate course of treatment. She’ll work with you to find the path that leads to the best outcome rather than simply treat your symptoms.
Shawna follows the principles of corneotherapy, which primarily focuses on the repair and maintenance of skin barrier defence systems. In simple terms, this type of treatment goes above and beyond topical esthetics sessions that can leave your skin looking and feeling good for a few days, but are not targeting deeper issues.
Additionally, your treatments will not include pharmacological products. Shawna carefully and personally selects the products that she uses on and recommends to her clients. These products are all as natural and/or plant-based as possible.
Personalized skin therapy that treats the root causes of your condition provides amazing, noticeable, and lasting results. By working with Shawna, you can go beyond slowing down the signs of aging and trauma from skin issues, you can reverse it. Treat and correct your condition and discover a youthful vitality inside and out that you never dreamt possible!