If you’re like many people, our infrared salt and wellness sauna sounds really cool, but you’re not totally sure what it is. What do you do in the room? What are the benefits of using the room? These are questions that we hear a lot so we’ve compiled some of the most commonly-asked questions to help you better understand the purpose of the sauna.
Our salt sauna provides a natural form of therapy with the use of Himalayan salt and radiant infrared heat. Salt therapy has actually been around for thousands of years. Eastern Europeans were known to use salt caves for healing as far back as the 1200s. Spending time in the salt room can relax your mind, detoxify your body, boost your immune system, and so much more.
Many people relate salt room therapy to an almost womb-like experience because you feel so comforted, warm, and safe. You have the rare opportunity to turn off all distractions, sit back, relax, and take a break from the busy world around you.
Sounds pretty incredible, doesn’t it? Take a moment to learn more about the room by exploring the answers to the following questions.
- 1) Are there health benefits to using the salt sauna?
- 2) What do I do in the salt sauna?
- 3) How long are the sessions?
- 4) How big is the sauna? Will other people be using it at the same time as me?
- 5) Can I touch or lean against the salt?
- 6) Do I need to bring anything with me?
- 7) Can I bring in food or drinks?
- 8) Is it like a traditional sauna? How hot does the room get?
- 9) Do I have control over the sauna’s temperature?
- 10) What if I want the sauna at a specific temperature?
- 11) What do I wear?
- 12) Will I notice a difference in how I feel after I use it?
- 13) Is the salt sauna safe to use for everyone?
- 14) Do I have access to a shower or any other amenities after using the sauna?
- 15) How often do you recommend using the salt sauna to get the most benefit?
1) Are there health benefits to using the salt sauna?
The heat and Himalayan salt work together to provide many different benefits. The room is sterile and the air is pure and clean so it’s really helpful for people who suffer from lung conditions like asthma and COPD. It can help boost your immune system, improve your mood, and provide relief from other chronic conditions due to its anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory properties.
More specifically, the radiant infrared heat can help:
- Promote detoxification
- Lower cortisol levels, which helps lower your stress level
- Eliminate heavy metals from your blood stream
- Enhance your blood flow, which can help increase your metabolic rate
- Regulate your blood pressure and reduce your cholesterol level
The Himalayan salt walls can also help:
- Sterilize the air, which is great for your lung function, especially if experiencing asthma, allergies, or other lung conditions
- Improve energy levels and promote better sleep patterns
- Relieve skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema
- Provide immune, nervous, and lymphatic system support
- Nourish your cells
- Improve your brain function
2) What do I do in the salt sauna?
Whatever you want! We do encourage you to leave your cellphone behind so that there are no distractions while you’re in the room. You can nap, do yoga, stretch, meditate, read a book, and simply relax with your feet up in a chair. Some people like to bring their iPads and headphones so that they can listen to a guided meditation while in the room. We do play soft, relaxing music while you’re in there, but you can always ask to have that shut off.
Here’s an example of just one sequence that you could do while you’re in the room:
- Lay flat on your back for five to 10 minutes
- Lay flat on your front for five to 10 minutes
- Spend 20-40 minutes elevating your legs and feet against the salt wall, sitting with your back against the salt wall, and doing some gentle stretching and yoga
- Spend your last five to 10 minutes in stillness and quiet
3) How long are the sessions?
You can book a 30- or 60-minute session.
4) How big is the sauna? Will other people be using it at the same time as me?
The sauna is private and the door is locked. So no one else will be using the room during your booking unless you have invited people to use it with you. The room comfortably fits four people (seated on the floor, in chairs, or on yoga mats) so you’re welcome to bring your friends with you.
5) Can I touch or lean against the salt?
Yes! We actually encourage you to touch the walls to get the most benefit from the salt. You can sit with your back leaning against it or you can lay on the floor with your legs up the wall.
6) Do I need to bring anything with me, such as a chair, yoga mat, or towel?
You can bring your own water bottle (because it’s very important to stay hydrated), but we can supply everything else. However, you’re always welcome to bring your own yoga mat or other items if you prefer.
7) Can I bring in food or drinks?
We only allow water in the sauna.
8) Is it like a traditional sauna? How hot can the room get?
The salt sauna can go up to 60C, but it doesn’t get steamy like a traditional sauna due to the fresh air intake. A flow of fresh air allows your body temperature to better regulate so that you’re able to endure the higher temperatures for a longer time in order to get the best detoxification benefits. The room is also equipped with an exhaust fan that can cool it down quickly.
9) Do I have control over the sauna’s temperature?
No. There are no controls in the room and everything (heat, lights, music) is set before you go in.
10) What if I want the sauna at a specific temperature?
You can let us know if you want the sauna to be at a temperature that’s different from our standard 45 degrees. However, we do need advance notice because it can take a few hours to heat the room to higher temperatures. We ask that you notify us at the time of booking.
11) What do I wear?
As little and as light of clothing as possible. Options include hot yoga attire, a bathing suit, or just a robe. Remember that the room is private and the door locks so it’s up to you to decide what you’re most comfortable wearing.
12) Will I notice a difference in how I feel after I use it?
Yes! You could notice a big, positive difference in your mood. Many of our clients say that they feel less stressed and tense and more relaxed. And some clients use the sauna regularly to gain relief from chronic conditions like arthritis due to the salt’s anti-inflammatory properties combined with soothing heat.
We also encourage you to take a cold shower afterward (if you’re up for it) for the added benefit of endorphin production, which helps to heighten your mood and relieve pain and stress.
13) Is the salt sauna safe to use for everyone (pregnant women, children, etc.)?
We recommend checking with your doctor if you’re pregnant or are experiencing (or have recently experienced) any of the following symptoms or conditions:
- Fever, infection, or injury
- High blood pressure, heart attack, or other cardiovascular problems
- Dizziness, fainting spells, heat sensitivity, narcolepsy, or seizures
If you have any concerns about using the sauna, check with your doctor prior to use. You also should not consume any alcohol or drugs prior to using the salt room.
14) Do I have access to a shower or any other amenities after using the sauna?
Yes. You have access to our facilities and amenities, which includes a shower, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion, blow dryer, flat iron, brush, q-tips, cotton balls, robes, and towels. You can even finish your session with a cup of our pleasant Zen Blend herbal tea from Meadowsweet.
15) How often do you recommend using the sauna to get the most benefit?
Once a week is ideal if you’re using the room to treat more severe or chronic conditions. We even recommend that you book the room in conjunction with other services, such as a massage treatment followed by a salt sauna session. You can also use the salt sauna before or after a float. It can help you calm down and prepare for a float, or it can help you transition back into “reality” after a float.
We encourage you to come in and try out our infrared salt and wellness sauna; we don’t think that you’ll be disappointed! Get in touch with us today to book your session, and please be sure to ask any additional questions that you may have. We look forward to offering you a chance to relax, refresh, and renew in our beautiful spa space.